San Francisco Director
YIMBY Action and Yes In My Back Yard (YIMBY) are seeking a skilled political organizer, excellent volunteer manager, and politically savvy relationship builder to grow the pro-housing movement in San Francisco.
YIMBY Action and Yes In My Back Yard (YIMBY) are affiliated 501(c)(4) and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations that work together to advance policy change that will increase the supply of housing in high-opportunity cities and towns. We advocate to increase the supply of all types of housing, including market-rate, subsidized affordable, and public housing. We envision an integrated and environmentally sustainable society where every person has access to a safe, affordable home near jobs, services, and opportunity.
What We're Looking For
The San Francisco Director will lead the fight for more inclusive housing policy in San Francisco, and oversee all grassroots political activation, membership growth and management, and ultimately, coalition building and local media relationships. They will also collaborate with YIMBY and YIMBY Action national staff to set San Francisco strategy, build and nurture fundraising relationships, and build and nurture political relationships. They will manage a team of over 30 “power volunteers” (known internally as Leads) and engage an additional 15,000+ list of San Francisco activists. The San Francisco Director will be accountable to helping to raise the San Francisco fundraising goal.
Reports to: YIMBY Action Executive Director as part of our Organizing Team.
Managing Volunteer Leads to Achieve Growth (25%)
- Recruit new volunteer Leads and connect regularly with existing Leads to support their growth and satisfaction.
- Collaborate with Organizing Director and Marketing team to develop a regional strategy for list and membership growth, particularly focusing on recruiting more activists of color, and activists who represent the diversity of people affected by the housing shortage.
- Oversee Leads to set and meet list and membership growth targets through events, membership drives, and digital campaigns.
- Oversee Leads in facilitating monthly member meetings and social events, and keeping membership trained and engaged.
- Oversee Leads to conduct 1-on-1s with new activists to welcome them to the movement and support their inclusion.
- Oversee Leads in building narrative power through hosting events and mobilizing members to write op-eds.
- Oversee Leads in meeting other Chapter goals, as defined by YIMBY Action’s Chapter Development rubric.
- Ensure enforcement of YIMBY Action Code of Conduct.
Activating Leads and Members for Policy Priorities (25%)
- In collaboration with national Executive Director, directly cultivate relationships with relevant local elected officials and influencers. Advocate for inclusion of YIMBY agenda in local policymaking.
- Oversee Leads in driving effective advocacy from members. Specific campaigns include:
- Housing Elements – drive members to participate in Housing Elements meetings and hold cities accountable to fair Housing Elements
- Endorsements – oversee regional endorsement process including endorsement votes. Drive members to disseminate endorsements and candidate information and support endorsed candidates’ campaigns
- Legislative Activation – drive members to advocate for strong federal, state, and local pro-housing legislation
Housing Project Advocacy – drive members to support housing projects at hearings and through petitions
- Support Leads in building relationships with relevant local elected officials and influencers.
Coalition and Media Relationships (25%)
- In collaboration with Leads and local Advisory Board, actively build relationships with key community groups.
- Drive coalition partners to support YIMBY legislative, electoral, and project advocacy.
- Support local media and press relationships. Grow into directly managing relationships with media and press contacts.
- Participate in local panels, television and radio shows, conferences, and other speaking engagements.
Regional Fundraising and Board Management (25%)
- Oversee and leverage a Regional Advisory Board to support regional fundraising and coalition building.
- Collaborate with national Development team to meet San Francisco fundraising goals by cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual, business, and foundation donors, growing membership dues, and/or managing fundraising events and campaigns.
- Leverage Regional Advisory Board and YIMBY Action national Board of Directors to support regional fundraising.
- A deep commitment to the YIMBY vision. A passion for more housing and shelter of every type, including subsidized affordable housing, public housing, and market-rate housing.
- Experience managing volunteers; track record of success driving volunteers to high levels of performance and engagement.
- Experience building positive working relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders; demonstrated ability to interact with stakeholders professionally, with poise, and with an orientation towards identifying and building on common ground.
- Excellent public speaking abilities; ability to serve as a compelling ambassador with media and on panels.
- Previous community organizing and/or political activism experience.
- Knowledge of/previous experience in housing activism.
- Understanding of local political landscape in San Francisco, including understanding of political players and key community groups.
- Previous experience in policy; demonstrated ability to absorb and articulate complex policy concepts.
YIMBY Action provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Schedule: Full time
Full time 40 hours/week. Some flexibility of schedule, but internal staff meetings are held 10 am–5 pm PT. Evenings and weekends may be required.