YIMBY Denver Organizer
YIMBY Action and Yes In My Back Yard (YIMBY) are seeking a skilled political organizer and excellent volunteer manager to grow the pro-housing movement in Metro Denver.
YIMBY Action and Yes In My Back Yard (YIMBY) are affiliated 501(c)(4) and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations that work together to advance policy change that will increase the supply of housing in high-opportunity cities and towns. Our organizations envision an integrated and environmentally sustainable society where every person has access to a safe, affordable home near jobs, services, and opportunity. Our mission in Denver is carried out by our YIMBY Action chapter, YIMBY Denver.
What We're Looking For
The YIMBY Denver Organizer will grow the pro-housing movement in metro Denver by moving followers of YIMBY Denver up the ladder of engagement to become inspired activists and effective activist leaders. They will collaborate closely with a small team of “power volunteers” (known internally as Leads), providing facilitation to help the Leads team identify chapter goals and strategies, and providing extra capacity to execute on goals and strategies. The YIMBY Denver Organizer will report to YIMBY Action’s National Organizing Director.
Supporting Volunteer Leads to Achieve Growth (~10 hours/week)
- Meet regularly with Leads to set chapter growth and development goals. Ensure goals and strategies are informed by YIMBY Action national organizing best practices and YIMBY Action Chapter Development model.
- Provide extra capacity to Leads to accomplish the following:
- Meet list and membership growth targets through events, membership drives, and digital campaigns.
- Host monthly member meetings and social events to keep membership trained and engaged.
- Conduct 1-on-1s with new activists to welcome them to the movement and support their inclusion.
- Build narrative power through hosting events, mobilizing members to write op-eds, and building relationships with local media.
- Meet other Chapter goals, as defined by YIMBY Action’s Chapter Development rubric.
- Ensure enforcement of YIMBY Action Code of Conduct through YIMBY Denver community.
Activating Leads and Members for Policy Priorities (~8 hours/week)
- In collaboration with Leads, drive effective advocacy from members. Specific campaigns may include:
- Endorsements – oversee regional endorsement process including endorsement votes. Drive members to disseminate endorsements and candidate information and support endorsed candidates’ campaigns
- Legislative activation – drive members to advocate for strong federal, state, and local pro-housing legislation
- Housing Project Advocacy – drive members to support housing projects at hearings and through petitions
- Provide extra capacity to Leads to build key relationships:
- Build relationships with relevant local elected officials and influencers.
- Build coalition power by meeting with local coalition partners.
Fundraising Support (~2 hours/week)
- Join meetings with fundraising prospects, including individuals, businesses, and foundations to represent YIMBY Denver.
- With guidance from YIMBY Action/YA national Development team, help identify prospective new funders from YIMBY Denver network.
- With guidance from YIMBY Action/YA national Development team, serve as the frontline relationship manager for a pipeline of donor or funders, including keeping them updated and making bold asks.
Measures of success for this position may include:
- # of active Leads
- % growth of subscriber list
- % growth in dues-paying and volunteer membership
- diversity of Leads, subscribers, members
- average turnout at key mobilizations
- # of coalition partnerships
- # of op-eds produced by members
- # of monthly chapter events
- A deep commitment to the YIMBY vision. A passion for more housing and shelter of every type including subsidized nonprofit affordable housing, market-rate housing, transitional housing, navigation centers, etc etc etc.
- Experience managing volunteers; track record of success driving volunteers to high levels of performance and engagement.
- Experience in volunteer recruitment; particular experience attracting and engaging diverse volunteers.
- Previous community organizing and/or political activism experience.
- Experience building positive working relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders; demonstrated ability to interact with stakeholders professionally, with poise, and with an orientation towards identifying and building on common ground.
- Knowledge of/previous experience in housing activism
- Understanding of local political landscape in Denver, including understanding of political players and key community groups.
- 401k enrollment opportunities
- Paid sick time
- Significant professional development opportunities, including paid professional development stipend
- Flexible work hours
- Membership in YIMBY Action nationwide activist network and vibrant 3,700+ member Slack community
- Access to YIMBY Action network of elected officials, journalists, and business leaders
YIMBY Action provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Schedule: Part time
20 hours/week. Flexible hours, some evenings and weekends required.