YIMBY Action is seeking a creative, ambitious, and data-driven Marketing Director with superb writing skills to help us grow the pro-housing movement.
YIMBY Action is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit network of pro-housing activists fighting for more inclusive housing policies and a future of abundant housing. We drive policy change to increase the supply of housing at all levels and bring down the cost of living in opportunity-rich cities and towns. We envision an integrated society where every person has access to a safe, affordable home near jobs, services, and opportunity.
YIMBY Action is led by our grassroots activist membership. The Marketing Director will play the critical role of expanding the YIMBY movement through growth marketing strategies to upgrade followers to become members, donors, and leaders in the movement, as well as brand marketing strategies that raise YIMBY Action’s profile for potential new activists. This position is a revenue-generating position in that the Marketing Director takes primary ownership of driving YIMBY Action’s membership revenue, and is primarily responsible for meeting ambitious annual membership revenue growth goals, while leveraging the existing resources of passionate volunteers and regional staff.
The Marketing Director will be joining a fast-paced startup environment. YIMBY Action has a staff of seven and over 100 volunteer Leads. While highly collaborative with other staff and volunteers, the Director will be a marketing team of one FTE, meaning the Director should be comfortable driving strategy while also directly executing tasks such as writing email copy, creating social media content, and generating marketing analytics. A successful Director will take initiative to develop and execute strategies and systems, proactively collaborate with key team members, and strategically leverage volunteers.
MEMBERSHIP GROWTH MARKETING (50%)
Produce compelling written and visual content across different channels to recruit and upgrade members, including:
- Develop, execute, and optimize email marketing campaigns to convert list to members.
- Develop, execute, and optimize social media marketing campaigns to convert followers across different channels to members.
- Work with tech team to optimize web presence for membership conversion.
- Identify and optimize additional channels to enhance membership growth.
- Execute membership retention strategies, leveraging volunteers to support outreach.
- Market chapter-growth content, driving activists to form YIMBY Action chapters.
MARKETING STRATEGY AND SYSTEMS (25%)
Develop and drive marketing strategy to increase YIMBY Action membership, overseeing audience mapping, segmentation, and measurement of impact on goals, including:
- Evaluate YIMBY Action’s existing outreach channels (chapter communications, email, phone, texts, website, events, social media, and direct mail) to optimize member acquisition, membership upgrades, membership dues, and member engagement. Track the ROI of membership growth initiatives in order to increase effectiveness.
- Experiment by testing and optimizing marketing strategies, including email marketing, content marketing, influencer campaigns, and more to drive membership growth, with a focus on increasing conversions.
- Map and continually refine YIMBY Action member lifecycle; analyze marketing strategies for their ability to move followers through the lifecycle.
- Expand and enhance our outreach strategies to increase the racial, socioeconomic, and network diversity of our membership.
- Manage YIMBY Action volunteers to amplify our marketing; build systems to encourage sustained volunteer leadership.
- Help build strategies for avoiding loss of existing members.
CORE MESSAGING & COMMUNICATIONS (25%)
Build upon existing brand framework and positioning to raise the profile of YIMBY Action and chapters to potential new members and coalition organizations, including:
- Manage social media interns to implement social media ads and content to drive brand awareness and generate marketing leads.
- Promote YIMBY Action events to attract new and diverse event attendees.
- Strategically showcase and distribute existing educational, policy, and political content to build YIMBY Action’s visibility.
- Activate volunteers and staff to produce effective and engaging content for existing communication channels including YIMBY blog and YIMBY podcast.
- Support Executive Director and Regional Directors to create and disseminate strategic communications, including statements and press releases.
depending on experience and qualifications
- A deep commitment to YIMBY Action’s mission and vision. A passion for more housing and shelter of every type including subsidized nonprofit affordable housing, market-rate housing, transitional housing, navigation centers, etc etc etc.
- Several years of marketing experience, with progressing responsibility.
- Significant marketing experience in all relevant channels; track record of success developing and executing email, social media, and digital growth programs.
- Polished writing and editing skills; a knack for crafting persuasive, succinct messages and compelling stories
- Track record in analyzing and translating data into growth insights through campaigns and A/B testing
- Community organizing and/or political activism experience
- Knowledge of/previous experience in housing activism
- Management experience, including of volunteers
- Press relationship management, opinion writing and placement, and press release writing
YIMBY Action provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.