YIMBY Action and Yes In My Back Yard (YIMBY) are seeking an event professional with excellent project management, problem-solving, and communication skills to help us host impactful, cost-effective, and memorable virtual and in-person events to grow and sustain the pro-housing movement.
YIMBY Action and Yes In My Back Yard (YIMBY) are affiliated 501(c)(4) and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations that work together to make housing more affordable and accessible. A staggering national housing shortage, most severe in our nation’s highest-opportunity cities and towns, is causing housing costs to skyrocket and leading to devastating poverty and homelessness. The housing shortage also causes a widening racial wealth gap and exacerbates our global climate crisis. Our organizations advance policy change that will increase the supply of housing in high-opportunity cities and towns. We envision an integrated and environmentally sustainable society where every person has access to a safe, affordable home near jobs, services, and opportunity.
What We're Looking For
This role is responsible for supporting events at YIMBY and YIMBY Action including but not limited to virtual and in-person educational events, virtual and in-person community-building events, and fundraisers.
The Event Coordinator will be a member of YIMBY Action’s Marketing & Communications Team, reporting to the Marketing & Communications Director. YIMBY Action and YIMBY’s Marketing and Communications Team works to grow awareness of YIMBY & YIMBY Action through media outreach, press releases, advertisements, education, and social media campaigns. The Marketing and Communications Team also grows and engages the YIMBY Action membership and subscriber base in conjunction with the Organizing Team through events, trainings, email campaigns, and other outreach strategies.
Virtual Events (65%)
- Brainstorm and implement virtual event plans and concepts in conjunction with the organizational calendar as directed by the Marketing & Communications Director
- Collaborate with the Marketing & Communications and Organizing Teams to plan and manage the national events calendar
- Source speakers and facilitators, coordinate and schedule interviews, panels, and other events
- Conduct event setup and administration using tools such as Zoom, Google Slides, Action Network, and Google Calendar
- Work with the Marketing & Communications Team to drive event promotions with the goal of increasing member engagement and growing the YIMBY / YIMBY Action email lists
- Assist in the implementation of paid event promotions on digital platforms including Facebook and Eventbrite
- Coordinate with Digital Director to ensure events are published on YIMBY and YIMBY Action websites
- Develop and disseminate event follow-up communications using email and other outreach tools
- Develop virtual event feedback surveys and post-event reports based on participant feedback
- Assist coordination of session logistics, including the implementation of hybrid events
- Edit and upload relevant event recordings to YouTube
- Track and record contact information and relationships with speakers, co-hosts, and other relevant stakeholders in collaboration with the Operations Associate
- Develop event templates and agendas for recurring events and common event formats
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Marketing & Communications Director
In-Person Events & Fundraisers (25%)
- Research and book venues for high-priority in-person events as defined by Organizational Leadership
- Conduct outreach and schedule speakers and VIPs
- Research vendors (catering, decorators, musicians, etc.) and develop event proposals under budget that balance quality and cost
- Track and record contact information and relationships with speakers, co-hosts, vendors, sponsors, and other relevant stakeholders in collaboration with the Operations Associate
- Develop & disseminate promotional materials in collaboration with the Marketing & Communications Team and the Development Team
- Assist in event operations (preparing venue, run of show, event map, signage, welcoming and orienting VIPs, etc.)
- Conduct quality checks on the day of the event (e.g. tables, technology); coordinate with vendors and act as the main point of contact
- Evaluate event successes and outcomes, submit reports to relevant event Owners & Managers
Support Organizing Team Events (10%)
- Conduct virtual event setup and administration for high-priority events hosted by the Organizing Team (e.g. Volunteer Leader training)
- Create event support materials and guidance for YIMBY Action Chapters in collaboration with the Organizing Team
We believe a variety of different work, school, volunteer, or community experiences could make you a good fit for this job. We welcome candidates from nontraditional backgrounds.
- A deep commitment to YIMBY Action’s mission and vision. A passion for more housing and shelter of every type including subsidized nonprofit affordable housing, market-rate housing, transitional housing, navigation centers, etc. etc. etc.
- A proven track record of organizing successful events, including managing event logistics for both virtual and in-person events, and securing and prepping event speakers.
- Detail-oriented and conscientious: you know that details can make or break the event experience and so you track every single one. You are hyper-organized and don’t let things fall through the cracks.
- A quick executor: you are comfortable in a fast-paced workplace and can get a large volume of things done with efficiency. You have a proven ability to track multiple projects and manage multiple “moving parts” in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Comfortable with different communications styles and channels including email, phone, and online tools such as Slack
- Outstanding communication and negotiation ability
- Problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of event promotion and recruitment strategies to increase attendance
- Proficient in Google Suite and Zoom
- Excellent vendor management skills
- Degree in hospitality management, public relations, or relevant field
- Knowledge of/previous experience in housing activism
- Up to 100% employer funded comprehensive medical coverage
- 401k enrollment opportunities
- 3 weeks of paid vacation plus another 20 paid holidays
- Paid sick time
- Paid family & disability leave
- Significant professional development opportunities, including paid professional development stipend
- Flexible work hours within a 40 hour work week
- Membership in YIMBY Action nationwide activist network and vibrant 3,700+ member Slack community
- Access to YIMBY Action network of elected officials, journalists, and business leaders
YIMBY Action provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.